8/22/2011

Artist Spotlight: Meca McKinney for Jypsea

Meca McKinney's signature line of her email reads: Meca  McKinney, Modern Leather Artisan | Design Consultant | Author | Lifestyle  Blogger.  Which by all means is true, but I think she left out a few other characteristics like Supermom, Fly Friend, Educator, and a all around Cool Chic.  Meca is the type of person that you want in your circle, the go to chic.  The strength and persistence of this woman will wow you.  Motherhood and the demand of a busy handbag and accessory line doesn't stop this woman. I caught up with the native Newarker (from Newark,NJ) after the release of her new book Envision: The Young Accessory Designer's Guide to Collection Development, this is what this Superwoman had to say.

Meca Mckinney w/her daughter Jordan


Style Haven: Hi Meca thanks for taking the time out to answer my 
questions. Tell me, who are your style/design inspirations?
Meca:  I am a huge fan of leather handbag lines that combine 
handcrafted work from artisans along with luxury, modern aesthetics 
like Balenciaga and Bottega Venetta and Fendi.
 
SH: What is your personal style?
M:  It’s a mish-mash of boho-chic, 1980s flygirl, and when I’m 
wearing my glasses I like to channel my inner “naughty secretary” 
with pencil skirts, stilettos and a bold red lip. 
 
SH: What is the first designer that you bought? 
M:  Armani Exchange jeans. They were over $100 and so dark (ink
black) and baggy. I was so little at 17. I felt so cool in them 
but I didn’t get many cool points because the people I wanted to 
impress weren’t even up on Armani yet. They were still rocking Karl 
Kani. Some were just getting into Girbuad’s. LOL (I guess, I’ve 
always been a step ahead…) ;)
 
SH: If you put your ipod on shuffle what is likely to come
on? 
M:  Cameo! Lots of Cameo on my ipod. (Hey, I LOVE the 80’s)
 
SH: Where is your favorite place to vacation? 
M:  Vacation? What’s that? The self-employed rarely take naps let 
alone vacations. Gotta pencil one in very soon though. 
 
SH: What new projects do you have coming up? 
M:  Tutorial e-books. I LOVE to teach art/design but I can’t do that 
much while fulfilling orders, sourcing materials, shipping and all 
the other demands of my handbag line.  Not to mention the demands 
of motherhood. So I’ve decided to make my knowledge available in 
the form of e-books. I have a series that I am working on that will 
include how to make sandals, leather cuffs, belts, and other leather 
accessories. Today, as a matter of fact, I released a FREE tutorial. 
Very simple, not as involved as the ones I will charge for but you 
can check it out and leave comments to give me feedback. 
It’s titles “How To Make a Designer Handbag” and it’s concise and 
very easy to follow. 
 
SH:  What accomplishments are you most proud of? 
M:   Besides my daughter (she’s the best 7 yr old on the planet) 
I am most proud of my persistence. I left corp America with a pink 
slip when I was downsized with the rest of the technical department 
in 2008 for a company that I was the footwear technical designer at. 
Corp America always made me a bit ill but it’s what you are expected 
to do after college: get a job! So I worked in the fashion industry 
approx. 10 yrs always feeling dampened and frustrated. Being 
downsized couldn’t have happened at a less convenient time since I 
was also a new single mom with a 3 yr old baby going thru a divorce. 
But I stayed prayerful, earned a second degree (I have my Assoc 
degree in Accessory Design from FIT and now my Bachelor’s in Fine 
Arts from Thomas Edison State College.) and re-launched my line.
I’ve also published a design book for aspiring designers giving 
them the steps to turn their one-of-a-kind designs into a full 
blown collection with resources and tips from other successful 
designers.  The book it entitled ENVISION: The Young Accessory 
Designer’s Guide to Collection Development.
 
SH:  What advise would you give a young design student trying to 
decide on a career in fashion?
M:   I would tell a young student that there are tons of fashion 
designers who make a living who they (the student) have never heard 
of. They may not have their labels in major department stores but 
they have a loyal clientele and possibly some celebrity clients.   
Every fashion designer won't be famous but you can still make a good 
living if you really want it.
 
Campaign shoot for Jypsea
 

Campaign shoot for Jypsea

Runway show model wearing Jypsea fingerless gloves and bag

Jypsea fingerless gloves
 
For more info on Meca and Jypsea check the following sites:
                        
                          Web: Jypsea.com







 
 

2 comments:

  1. Corin, you brought tears to my eyes. You are awesome. Thanks for such a lovely article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look out world! Good stuff sis!
    ~Much Love, Success & Blessings~

    ReplyDelete