8/05/2011

Artist Spotlight: Jo-Ann Enwezor Owner of Planet Maud Vintage & Co.

I've know Jo-Ann the majority of my life.  We went to high school together, cheered on the cheerleading team together and dressed and sang as if we were TLC's Crazysexycool(geeks). But her new endeavor, Planet Maud Vintage & Co., is something fresh, new, and fly, and I am excited for her.  I learned a lot about Jo-Ann's style and thoughts through this Q&A, and by the end of this article if you're not in love with Planet Maud or Jo-Ann then I don't know what else to say.  Meet Jo-Ann Enwezor owner of Planet Maud Vintage & Co.




Style Haven: Where are you from?  
Jo-Ann: I was born in Kingston,`Jamaica to a Jamaican mother and Nigerian father.  I made the move to Mt. Vernon, NY when I was 3 years old. I've been living in Washington, D.C. for the better part of the last 15 years.  I came down here in 1996 to attend Howard University.  I still don't know how to get around.  

S: Who are your style/design inspirations?  
J: I like DVF for her classic and feminine lines and Marc Jacobs for his throwback nods.  Above all, I adore Diana Ross....especially as Tracy Chambers in Mahogany.  Man, that was a well dressed movie. I love Diana Ross on stage too. She never shied away from feathers, sequins and lurex.  Her clothes always had a persona all of its own.  I think I'm mostly enamored by her style because everyone knows that I've never met a sequin or animal print that I didn't like.  Oh and her daughter Tracee Ellis Ross is a beast too.  I kind of sweat them.  

S: Do you have any brothers/sisters? Are they involved in the same area of design?  
J: I have 3 brothers.  We weren't raised together, but all have creative aspirations.  My oldest brother is a painter.  Another is a filmmaker. My youngest brother is 12.  He's into things that 12 year olds are into.  

S: What is your personal style?  

J: It really depends on how the sun rises and the wind blows.  Some days I feel like a sexy Miss Celia, channel Melaine Griffiths in Working Girl or sex it up like a bad ass Robyn Givens in Boomerang.  I don’t like to commit myself to one narrow idea of what looks good.  The fun is in the experiments.
S: What is the first designer that you bought?
J: LOL, depends on the decade.  I was so proud of myself when I bought a pair of Karl Kani jeans with my own money in high school. They were teal and I paired them with a magenta Champion sweatshirt. I thought I was the business.  I really wasn't though because it was too hot outside for my ensemble.  C'mon now, I could only afford that stuff off season!
  
S: What is your favorite type of music/ and artist?
J: My musical taste is eclectic.  I do love music loud and live! This summer, I've seen Little Dragon, Mos Def, Res, Sade and Meshell Ndegeocello.  I want to see Lil' Wayne and Adel.  

S: Where is your favorite place to vacation?
My top destinations are Cape Town, Istanbul, Paris, Jamaica and home.  I fall in love with cities near water.  

S: What new projects do you have coming up?
J: Planet Maud Vintage & Co. is essentially a new project itself.  We started out last October with an event in a "showroom" in my house.  We just had our NYC debut at the brilliant MoCADA in Brooklyn, NY.  Now, we're evolving from a traveling boutique to a storefront.  I want PMVC to be a destination for women who are looking to reclaim their personal style by shopping consciously.  They know we source recycled pieces from all over the world thus keeping less in landfills everywhere.  We also give voice to indie/emerging designers.  We have a few community projects underway that will essentially get all of our clients involved in philanthropy in a new and exiting way.  

S: What accomplishments are you most proud of?
J: Planet Maud is a personal triumph for so many reason.  It has stripped me to the very bareness of who I am.  I left corporate America behind, manage depression, meditate to make ends meet and yet, I've never been happier.  There's something very freeing about building on a dream.  Yesterday, I just put all my business on Facebook that I'm without health insurance and joked that I'd marry for it.  My life is different.  I don't have the safety nets that I once relied on, but I really believe that the universe always conspires with me.  





You can find more info on Planet Maud & Co. at the following site:


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful job! I'm inspired. Hats off to you both for relentlessly pursuing your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous interview!! I too have left corp America to fulfill my fashion dream and posted on fb that I am w/o health insurance and will happily marry for it! LOL It's awesome to see another sister as concious about the environment as she is about style. I design a luxurious line of handbags/accessories from recycled leather so I'm about that! Much love to you sis! www.jypsea.com

    ReplyDelete