11/19/2014

Thrifting 101: The $6 Formal Dress

I'm at the stage in life where all of my friends are either getting married or having babies. Although both are joyous occasions, they cost MONEY! Sometimes you can’t get around spending cold hard cash. I have one very good friend who warned me: “You better not thrift my baby’s clothes!” LOL just wait. 

Anyway back to the point at hand. After you factor in travel, hotel, dress, shoes, gifts, etc. expenses start to add up. Since I love to 'Style on a Dime' I will tell you how I thrifted one dress for $6 and wore it to two different weddings in different ways.


The formal $6 thrift dress...Pretty. Right?
About a year ago I was a bridesmaid/groomsman. I'm not sure what to call it, but I stood next to my best friend as he got married. His only requirement was that I wear black. I am a lover of the 1950's so when I spotted this raglan sleeve dress with a taffeta skirt I knew it was the one for me.

I love the deep V-neck in the front, the cinch waist, and the full skirt. I paired it with a fab bow belt that I picked up from H&M, and wore my go to Sam Edelman peep toe pumps.

Recently I attended a college friend’s wedding and I thrifted a dress but at the last minute I decided that I didn't want to wear that dress. With nothing to wear and it's the night before I leave to attend the wedding I had to come up with a plan. Then I came across my 1950's dress and thought “How can I reinvent this dress?” 

Because of the full skirt, it would look fab with a crinoline slip, which I didn't have so I reverted to a full skirt in my closet and put it under the dress. This gave me an instant fluff and more of a Dior "New Look." To add a pop of color I accessorized with a moss patent leather belt and I was ready to go.


Formal $6 dress with different accessories 
The under skirt





Styling on a Dime doesn't have to be a challenge it's a matter of thinking outside the box. There are no wrong or right ways to do this. I do it the 'Wright Way.'


The complete look 2nd time around


Stay tuned for the next Thrifting 101 on how we adverted a tragedy when my date realized at the 11th hour that he forgot his cuff links for his French cuff shirt!

Have a thrift piece that you reinvented to wear more than once? Share it with us on Twitter or Instagram @shopstylehaven or leave a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment